Tuesday, September 20, 2011

NVC is contributing to cultural change for a real organization (finally!)

For the past 14 months, I have been working with a social service organization in Indiana -- teaching them practical NVC skills with the purpose of increasing workplace morale, creating more effectiveness and building trust among the staff of 20+ people.

I have visited their group four times, and have a fifth visit scheduled next month, which is a real luxury for me as a trainer who has frequently been given "one shot" to do a training in a workplace.

These "one shot deals" are challenging for a variety of reasons, among them that they lack continuity and that people often don't retain the skills very well without follow up... even if they resonate when exposed to them.

Consequently, if I'm honest I would have to say that until now, I have not contributed to cultural change within any organization or business that I worked with.

Yes, I helped many individuals gain valuable skills that reduced their suffering, and increased their enjoyment on the job.

But it simply wasn't enough to impact the center of gravity in those organizations; after all, patterns of communication and behavior are decades in the making :-)

However, I am celebrating wildly about my current work with this organization.  Actually, the more prominent feeling is RELIEF -- relief that it's actually possible!

I have been getting feedback from the staff members that they have been using the skills I have shared with them, and it's been successful.

Furthermore, they have been giving and receiving the "gratitude grams" that I introduced to them and they, too, have been making a positive impact.

Most of all, I can see with my own two eyes -- and feel in my heart -- the energetic shifts that are happening there, simply by watching them interact with each other in my training sessions and over lunch time.

Hooray!





2 comments:

Karl S said...

That's very exciting Jeff! Thanks for sharing the success story.

Maria said...

Celebrating your progress and our HOPE!!