Sunday, October 26, 2008

A deeper gratitude than ever before

I returned to the U.S. 2 days ago after 7 weeks in Japan and South Korea, and I have never in my life been more grateful to have access to foods that my body is used to.




Yesterday, I walked into Sevananda Natural Foods Co-op in Atlanta, GA, and bought over $200 worth of food! As I was shopping, and as I saw a food that I had not had access to for 7 weeks, I stopped and was overtaken by gratitude -- deeply appreciating the moment, as well as the foods available to me in the U.S.

In fact, some of my long-standing irritation and disgust with American culture faded, as I felt this gratitude. For all of my frustration with our culture, I am profoundly grateful for the natural foods revolution and the fact that in most cities now, I can purchase organically-growth, fresh, high-quality food -- something that, in spite of my best efforts, I was not able to do in Asia.

I am "grateful" to one of my teachers about gratitude, fellow NVC Certified Trainer Myra Walden, who, fittingly, walked into the store in the middle of one of my gratitude moments. Myra is also in Atlanta because we 2 of the 4 facilitators of a 7-day retreat called, "Cultivating Inner and Outer Peace" along with Cynthia Moe and Mark Feinknopf.

No comments: