Sunday, May 4, 2008

Financial abundance and Nonviolent Communication

This past weekend I led a 2-hour teleclass through the NVC Academy titled, "Creating a Successful and Sustainable NVC Business."

I have long been struck by the discrepancy I perceive between one of the underlying beliefs of NVC -- that of abundance consciousness -- and how many trainers and facilitators who wish to share NVC with others in a way that also brings them support and sustainability for their efforts.

In short, what I'm talking about is that we are teaching abundance consciousness and living poverty consciousness. I have discovered a number of limiting ("Jackal") beliefs in myself along these lines. Here are just a few examples:

* Money is the root of all evil;
* Spirituality and money are incompatible;
* To be spiritual is to eschew money and abundance;
* Wealthy people don't care about the needs of others, only about making more money (and destroying the environment in the process);

No wonder I struggled for years with financial security and stability when thoughts like these were running my mind!

My dream is for anyone and everyone who wishes to create a livelihood sharing NVC to be able to do so and meet their needs for support, sustainability, and even abundance! I'm talking about first getting to a place where our basic needs are met, and then creating enough abundance to have the resources to create NVC retreat centers, communities, and other endeavors to make NVC all the more available to people around the world.

For example, what if there was $3 million available to open 7 retreat centers in Eastern Europe, each of which had funding for bringing trainings into the medical profession, education and nursing? Or, what if we had $500,000 to do the same in India or other countries with an economy that prevents many people from being able to afford traveling places for NVC training?

1 comment:

fMom said...

I really resonated with this post, with coming to realize the conflicting messages that we have / receive regarding financial abundance. About a year ago, I did a clearing exercise regarding my beliefs about money. It was astonishing -- so many of the beliefs were in direct conflict with one another. No wonder I experienced "mixed feelings" about money. :<) By noting where I was in opposition with myself I was able to recognize the culturally conditioned (jackal) belief system that lead to this push/pull relationship with money and readdress this area of my life from a place of greater clarity and autonomy.

I feel excited and happy when I read about your perspective on financial abundance as an outcropping of abundance mentality in general -- it meets my needs for hope and inspiration!